Take Aways From 2020 Supercross Round 1 – Anahiem
2020 A1 Angels Stadium
The season started off absolutely Electric!! It’s hard to beat a good A1, the crowd is large and the fans are really really thirsty for some good competition from their favorite Supercross riders.
By the time A1 comes around, the outdoor season has been over just long enough for Riders to get into Supercross shape and begin testing new products on bikes. Teams have made personnel changes and new contracts have been signed.
So let’s start out by looking at the Podium results.
First, we have the 250 class
1st Place Justin Cooper
A young Rider who seems to fly under the radar, and that’s kind of odd for how good he actually is. He doesn’t keep a ton of hype around him.
However, he is someone that produces round after round and always seems to be consistent. It’s easy for fans to lose him in the course of a season because he doesn’t have that coveted hype. It feels like 2020 should be different as long as he stays healthy because he doesn’t back down from the competition.
2nd place Dylan Ferrandis
Dylan has been a good rider in the 250 class for a number of years now and his only Achilles heel seems to be his starts. Year after year it looks like he’s always fighting from within the pack.
If he can get good starts consistently then he usually stays out front and is super difficult to beat. “Starts”………. If Dylan could somehow figure out his starts, he honestly could run away with the entire season. He is that good!
3rd Christian Craig
Christian is probably one of the strongest riders in the field and he’s fast, he’s actually very fast and if he can stay injury-free, he will be a Podium contender every single round. He’s had some injuries and some bad luck. That’s a bad combo for any rider.
For Anaheim 1 Craig made the podium because of a mistake from Austin Fortner. Austin was penalized for re-entering the track incorrectly and lost two places. That bumped Christian Craig up to 3rd. Maybe that mans luck is changing!
Next, we have the 450 class
This year the ranks seem to be better than ever, every rider seems to be really happy with the adjustments, the engines, and the overall performance.
1st place Justin Barcia
For the second year in a row is Justin Barcia. Justin (Bam Bam) takes the top spot on the podium and he earned it. That was some dam good riding. Justin is also known as “Bam Bam” is one of the premier athletes in the sport. He could take the red plate and keep it. That actually would be a big surprise.
He really needs no introduction because over the years he’s really created a reputation and overall presence. The track at A1 seems to be his territory after back to back wins. His aggressive style of riding has built his reputation and definitely paid off in round 1.
2nd Place Adamson Cianciarulo
Adam is kind of a sport phenom. He’s been exceptional well before his rookie season in the 450 class. Cianciarulo is mature, he’s well-spoken, he handles his failures incredibly well on camera and appears to be really good with people. Adam’s performance in October during the Monster Cup weekend got everyone’s attention.
Adam Cianciarulo in the second-place spot on the podium field surprising but it’s only because it’s his rookie season and its A1. It really shows the rest of the field he’s here to compete this year. He has all the tools and experience to earn that spot.
3rd Place Cooper Webb
To some, the third-place finish could look like a disappointment. It honestly could be the most impressive ride of the weekend. Cooper Webb was under weather and still podiumed. That also sends a statement.
It lets everyone know the Cooper Webb wagon is alive and kicking. After his interview on the pulp MX show, I wondered if he was going to finish in the top five, just because he sounded so poor in health.
So as we head into the Round 2 in St Louis there are a number of smaller stories to think about
- Eli Tomac – Eli a fan favorite, is a man of very few words. He lets his riding do his talking for him. He has had streaks of racing that made him look unbeatable. Everyone is curious which Eli we’ll see in 2020. He’s teamed up with the young Phenom Adam Cianciaulo. Adam is really consistent and while he’s in the same camp the pressure will be on Eli even more.
- Ken Roczen – Ken is currently who I would consider one of the greatest comeback stories in all of sports. He’s had some crashes on the bike that probably should have retired him, but week after week he has found himself back into a competitive situation and after seeing him during the outdoor season I have no doubt that he will continue to find himself on the podium in 2020.
- Jason Anderson (El hombre) is a personal favorite out of the Albuquerque New Mexico area. Jason has a very laid back style that translates into his riding. He also is coming off of a recent season of success. He won the title in 2018, and I think the fans are curious if that’s something he can repeat. He has gone on record and stated he doesn’t like the pressure that comes with the red plate but he definitely rides well enough to have it and keep it.
- Blake Baggett is also a story I think should have more attention. Blake seems to really shine during the outdoor season but for one reason or another, the Supercross rounds have proven to be a little more of a challenge. The KTM Rider has a great team behind him and a team member in Justin Bogle. He could be a consistent top-five Rider.
- Last Malcolm Stewart and Justin Hill are two Riders who have every opportunity to shock the Supercross World. They have enough time on the bikes and they both have enough experience to succeed. If either of them start to break into the top five consistently, that would turn so many heads, both Riders are young and strong and really really talented. I personally think the sport would really enjoy watching them shake things up in the top five Riders.
View this post on Instagram
450 HOLESHOT CONTEST!🔥 Round2 STL! 👀😳 Rules 🤷🏽♂️ Tag 1 rider pick 👈🏽 Tag 2 Friends 👈🏽 Obviously Follow Us Good Luck!! . . Turn on push notifications, like and comment in the first 60 seconds, winners for the 60 sec club are chosen each day, announced on the story and dm’d. Prizes are provided by sponsor company’s and sx swag . . #motocrosslove #motocross4life #motocrossedits #mx4life #mxgraphics #mxlove #mx #motolife #realmoto #realracing #dirtbikes #dirtbike #sx #mxlife #sxlife #sx4life #mxgp #mxfails #mxlove #mxlifestyle #mxking #mxracing #mxlife #supercross #motocross
View this post on Instagram
250 HOLESHOT CONTEST!🔥 Round2 St Louis! 👀😳 Rules 🤷🏽♂️ Tag 1 rider pick 👈🏽 Tag 2 Friends 👈🏽 Obviously Follow Us Good Luck!! . More prizes Coming! Follow @supercross 👊🏽👊🏽 Turn on push notifications, like and comment in the first 60 seconds, winners for the 60 sec club are chosen each day, announced on the story and dm’d. Prizes are provided by sponsor company’s and sx swag •••••••••• 👌🏽 #dirtbikelife #dirtbikefails #dirtbikeracing #dirtbikerider #dirtbiking #dirtbikeporn #dirtbikesarecool #motocrossrace #motocrossgirls #motocrosslove #motocross4life #motocrossedits #mx4life #mxgraphics #mxlove #mxlifestyle #mxking #mxracing #mxgirl #mxlife #motorcross #supercross