Dean Ferris has endured a tough day at the pen ultimate round of the Australian National Championship as a hard crash in moto 3 put the youngster out for two motos, losing him the championship lead which he has held since round 4.

The day couldn’t have started better for Ferris as he posted pole position yet again, and headed into moto 1 with a solid lead over the competition.

As the gate dropped for the opening moto it was the 111 Kawasaki of Ferris that ripped the hole-shot, powering out to an early lead. 8 laps in Ferris was looking strong yet again, until a tricky rut caught him out and took him down. Quickly re-mounting Ferris set chase on Coppins and Marmont, but in the end had to settle for 3rd.

In moto 2 Ferris grabbed another good start, this time in second place behind 2010 champ Marmont as the field rounded out the opening lap. Marmont was on the gas, and as Ferris battled to find a good rhythm, a hard pushing Coppins slipped past. Doing his best to maintain a strong score of points Ferris crossed the line with another 3rd position.

Looking to make amends in the 3rd moto Ferris pulled out yet another hole-shot, but a mistake on the opening lap would see Ferris stall the machine, leaving him to fight back through the competition. Coming though the field fast disaster struck as Ferris lost the front end and hit the floor hard. The determined youngster was in a lot of pain and had to be carried off by the medical crew, putting an end to his day.

Although coughing up blood and suffering a hand injury, initial checks suggest that Dean Ferris suffered no major injuries, however further medical tests will be carried out today to confirm this.

In speaking to Dean last night he was naturally down beat, and concerned about his hand, but was still hopeful and focused on fighting for the title at the final round this coming weekend.

Dean Ferris says, “It sucks. I’m so disappointed. I was coming into a fast turn and the front end washed out. I pinned it to try and save it but got cross rutted and ended up getting slammed into the ground. I knew if I got up and made the last race that I still had a chance to get points and save the round but the pain was so great and I had to go to hospital. I’m still coughing up blood today (Monday) but it’s getting better. My hand is pretty sore and I’ll see a specialist tomorrow to sort it out. I’m focussed on Coolum this weekend and will do everything I need to win this Championship.”

Monster Energy Kawasaki Team Manager Troy Carroll says, “It was obviously a disappointing day for the whole team today. We just have to go to Coolum and win as many races as we can. We’ve been backed into a corner, watch us come out swinging!”

Free Shipping!!! Dismiss


Your Cart