Chad Reed wins the Australasian Supercross Series Opener.
Chad Reed, defending Australasian Supercross Champion, two-time AMA Supercross Champion, and 2009 AMA 450 Motocross Champion, racing a Honda 450 for his new team – Team Vodafone – has won the first round of the Monster Energy Super X Championship in Newcastle, with a very dominate performance in front of a home crowd at Energy Australia stadium.
Chad Reed on his Team Vodafone Honda
US imports Josh Hansen and Justin Brayton claimed the remainder podium spots coming in second and third respectively.
The Double Header race format featured in the final, which is two 12 lap heats. Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda’s Dan Reardon grabbed the first holeshot with Monster Energy / Pro Circuit’s Josh Hansen second and Reed third.
The racing initially was bar to bar for first, second and third after the start, but a small slip up by Hansen allowed Reed to pass him. Reed then sat on Reardon’s tail, and eventually made the pass half-way through the race. Hansen overtook Reardon and began to chase Reed, but the reigning champion was too fast and held on for the win.
Reardon held on for third and CDR Rockstar Yamaha’s Jay Marmont finished fourth. Second fastest qualifier also from the USA, Muscle Milk / Toyota JGRMX rider Justin Brayton, who was pushed over the berm on the first corner, made his way back through the pack to finish fifth.
Local rider Craig Anderson claimed the second holeshot in the second moto, but it was Reed who got out to an early lead with Brayton second and Reardon third. Hansen passed Reardon on the third lap and the three internationals held their position until the end, with Reed throwing a huge whip to his home crowd fans once over the finish line.
Chad Reed (AUS) “First and foremost I want to thank all of the Newcastle fans for coming tonight. It has been a long term plan to have a race here and after three years it has finally happened. I felt right at home racing out there tonight and it feels great to get the win. 2010 has been a tough year for me, but I had a blast riding tonight.”
Josh Hansen (USA) “I rode really consistent tonight so I’m happy. I had great fun here tonight and I am really enjoying Australia. I’ve got to thank Monster for making this possible.”
Justin Brayton (USA) “My first race didn’t go to plan, but I managed to get a good start in the second so it was a good result. Reed is racing great and it’s good for him to get the win in front of his hometown. I am really enjoying Australia and I am looking forward to the next two rounds.”
The Lites class was also decided with a Double Header final and it was US rider JDR Motorex KTM’s PJ Larsen, who finished first with Rockstar Motul Suzuki rider Matt Moss second and JDR Motorex KTM’s Ryan Marmont third.
P J Larsen wins the lites class
Rockstar Motul Suzuki’s Lawson Bopping was leading until the second last lap on the first moto, but was pipped at the post by Larsen with Marmont third. Cody Mackie took an early lead in the second moto, but was overtaken by Larsen and Moss. Moss then overtook Larsen in a close shave and held on for the win.
Dylan Long won the first round of the Michelin Development Series with Jacob Wright second and Luke Clout third.
OPEN Top Ten Results:
- Chad REED – TeamVodafone: 50
- Josh HANSEN – Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasaki: 42
- Justin BRAYTON – Muscle Milk / Toyota JGRMX: 38
- Daniel REARDON – Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor Racing: 38
- Jay MARMONT – CDR Rockstar Yamaha: 34
- Tye SIMMONDS – JDR Motorex KTM: 27
- Todd WATERS – Cougar Bourbon Thor Honda: 27
- Daniel McCOY – Coastal KTM Motorex Team: 27
- Jake MOSS – Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 27
- Craig ANDERSON – Berry Sweet / Pro Grip / Talon / RHK / Forma: 21
LITES Top Five Results:
- P J LARSEN – JDR Motorex KTM: 25
- Matt MOSS – Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 22
- Ryan MARMONT – JDR Motorex KTM: 20
- Kade MOSIG – Cougar Bourbon Honda Thor: 18
- Lawson BOPPING – Team Rockstar Motul Suzuki: 16
Michelin Development Series:
- Dylan LONG – KTM / Thor / Motorex / Michelin / One Industries: 25
- Jacob WRIGHT – Honda Jnr Development Team: 22
- Luke CLOUT – SS Racing / MX Rad / Pirelli / Fox / Link / Rockstar: 20
Thanks to Global Action Sports