Tyler Bowers Make Late-Race Move to Take Eighth Win of the Season in 2012 Dayton Arenacross
Steven Mages Fights for Arenacross Lites Class Victory
Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., made a late-race pass to take his eighth win of the season on Saturday night, as the 2012 AMA Arenacross Series hosted its seventh round of action from Dayton’s Nutter Center. In the Arenacross Lites Class, Gateway Cycles Kawasaki’s Steven Mages, of Sardinia, Ohio, grabbed a hard-earned victory.
Team Faith KTM’s Kevin Johnson, of Spring, Texas, took the holeshot in the 25-lap main event with FMF Power/Poynt TUF Honda’s Jeff Gibson, of Blacklick, Ohio, and Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/Storm Lake Honda’s Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio, in tow. It didn’t take long for Gibson to make his move on Gibson, taking over the lead before the completion of five laps.
Once out front, Gibson looked to check out on the field, but Bowers was making his move forward from a fifth-place start. By the halfway point, Bowers was in second and proceeded to set his sights on Gibson, his closest rival in the championship. Gibson fended off Bowers for several laps, until he crashed in a rhythm section, allowing Bowers to move into the lead on Lap 20. From there, the defending series champion never looked back.
The win extended Bowers points lead over Gibson to 15 points. Gibson secured the runner-up spot, while Skaggs held on for third.
In the 18-lap Arenacross Lites Class Main Event, Mages grabbed the early lead, with Dragon Racing Fuels/AG Motorsports KTM’s Michael Willard, of Newark, Ohio, following closely behind. Mages outran his rival throughout the main event and despite Willard’s efforts, he wasn’t able to get close enough to challenge for the win.
Mages and Willard finished out the night in the top two spots, while Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Championship points leader Michael McDade, of Oklahoma City, Okla., finished third aboard his Motostar Kawasaki.
In the Dash for Cash, Gibson grabbed the win in the exciting four-lap shootout. All proceeds went to A Kid Again.
AMA Arenacross Series continues next weekend, with two nights of action from Cedar Park, Texas, and the Cedar Park Center, on Friday, January 27, and Saturday, January 28. The action kicks off at 7 p.m. CT.
Arenacross Class Results (Dayton, Ohio)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Cole Siebler, Emmett, Idaho, Honda
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
Arenacross Lites Class Results (Dayton, Ohio)
- Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM
- Michael McDade, Edingburg, Pa., Kawasaki
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
- Patrick Massie, Washington Court House, Ohio, Honda
- Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda
- Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
- Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., Honda
- Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 12 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki (8 wins) – 260
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda (2 wins) – 245
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki (2 wins) – 218
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM – 186
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 173
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 164
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 128
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 127
- Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM – 101
- Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki – 86
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 9 of 10)
- Michael McDade, Indiana, Pa., Kawasaki (1 win) – 176
- Michael Willard, Newark, Ohio, KTM (3 wins) – 159
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatcong, N.J., KTM (2 win) – 150
- Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki (1 win) – 140
- Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, KTM – 102
- Travis Sewell, Westfield, Ind., KTM – 91
- Austin Coon, Spencer, W. Va., Honda – 77
- Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM – 75
- Kyle White, Freeport, Ill., Honda – 72
- Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda – 58