Ryan Smith Grabs Secures Arenacross Lites Victory
The opening night of the AMA Arenacross Series round from Baltimore’s 1st Mariner Arena was greeted by an excited crowd who cheered on the stars of the sport, as they waged battle on the first of two evenings of racing. After grabbing the opening-round win of the 2012 season last weekend, Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki presented by Maxxis’ Tyler Bowers, of Danville, Ky., made it two-in-a-row on Friday night in the premier Arenacross class. In the opening round of the Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites class, Suzuki rider Ryan Smith, of Axton, Va., took his first career victory.
Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki’s Josh Demuth moved into the lead at the start of the 25-lap Arenacross main event. Behind him, Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/Stormlake Honda’s Nathan Skaggs, of Chillicothe, Ohio, and Bowers jockeyed for position in second and third, respectively.
Demuth held a small, yet secure advantage at the front of the field for the majority of the race. Bowers was able to work his way by Skaggs for second, and then set his sights on his teammate. With about a third of the main event remaining, Bowers began to pressure Demuth, eventually making the winning pass through the whoops and carrying it through to the end, winning by a little over two seconds.
Demuth kept Bowers honest through to the finish, just missing out on his first win since his championship-winning 2010 campaign by posting a runner-up effort. Chad Johnson, of Rhinelander, Wis., helped give the Babbitt’s Monster Energy/AMSOIL Kawasaki team a sweep of the podium in third, bouncing back from his DNF one week prior.
In the Arenacross Lites class, Gateway Cycles Kawasaki’s Steven Mages, of Sardinia, Ohio, grabbed the holeshot and opened up an early lead in the 18-lap main event. Shortly thereafter, Airide KTM’s Daniel Blair, of Lodi, Calif., began putting the pressure on Mages, in search of his first taste of victory in the AMA Arenacross Series.
On Lap 12, Mages began to lose control of his motorcycle, putting him in Blair’s path and forcing the pair to come together, crashing out of the lead. Smith took over the lead, and maintained the position through to the end of the main event to win in front of family and friends.
Motocross Ministries Kawasaki’s Michael McDade, of Indiana, Pa., finished second, while South of the Border Kawasaki’s Cody Robbins, of Huntersville, N.C., rounded out the podium in third.
Bower’s capped of a near-perfect evening by also wining the exciting Dash for Cash.
The 2012 AMA Arenacross Series from Baltimore continues with a second night of action tomorrow, November 5, beginning at 7 p.m. ET.
Arenacross Class Results (Baltimore, Md.)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki
- Travis Sewell, Westville, Ind., KTM
- Shawn Rife, Mechanicsburg, Ohio, Honda
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM
Arenacross Lites Class Results (Baltimore, Md.)
- Ryan Smith, Axton, Va., Suzuki
- Michael McDade, Indiana, Pa., Kawasaki
- Cody Robbins, Huntersville, N.C., Kawasaki
- Dave Ginolfi, Lake Hopatlong, N.J., KTM
- Daniel Blair, Lodi, Calif., KTM
- Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki
- T.J. Phillips, New Castle, Pa., Kawasaki
- Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda
- Tony Archer, Waldorf, Md., Suzuki
- Kevin Markwardt, Freeport, Ill., KTM
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 2 of 19)
- Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki – 50
- Josh Demuth, North Richland Hills, Texas, Kawasaki – 44
- Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda – 38
- Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda – 34
- Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., KTM – 27
- Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki – 27
- Shawn Rife, Mechanicsburg, Ohio, Honda – 26
- Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, KTM – 26
- Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Kawasaki – 20
- Tyler Bright, Hamer, S.C., KTM – 20
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 1 of 10)
- Ryan Smith, Axton, Va., Suzuki – 25
- Michael McDade, Indiana, Pa., Kawasaki – 22
- Cody Robbins, Huntersville, N.C., Kawasaki – 20
- T.J. Phillips, New Castle, Pa., Kawasaki – 14
- Maxx Malatia, Itasca, Ill., Honda – 13
- Tony Archer, Waldorf, Md., Suzuki – 12
- Steven Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki – 8
- Sean Lipanovich, Tallahssee, Fla., Suzuki – 7
- Travis Sewell, Westfield, Ind., KTM – 6