Supercross News from Australia: Ryan Villopoto confirmed for the Sydney and Brisbane Monster Energy Super X events
One of the biggest supercross stars in the world, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Ryan Villopoto, will compete in the final two rounds of the Monster Energy Super X in Sydney at Parramatta Stadium on November 27 and Brisbane at QSAC on December 4, 2010.
The two Australian events will be the first time Villopoto has ever raced in Australia.
21 year old Villopoto was leading the 2010 Monster Energy AMA Supercross series with an incredible seven race wins, the most of any rider in 2010, until a broken leg forced him out of the championship. He is considered to be the future dominant star of the sport along with his arch rival, Ryan Dungey who went on to win this year’s AMA Supercross series.
Following a hugely successful career in the AMA motocross and supercross Lites championships, Villopoto went on to become one of only three riders in history to win his first premier class supercross race and the only person besides the 15-time AMA Supercross and Motocross Champion Ricky Carmichael, to claim three straight 250cc motocross titles and then win his 450 class debut.
Managing Director Michael Porra of Global Action Sports said the signing of Villopoto to race two events in this year’s series is testament to the growth of supercross and Super X in Australasia:
“Villopoto is the hottest property in the world of supercross and it is so exciting for fans down under to get the opportunity to see such a big star compete on Australian soil. We have a huge lineup of international riders competing in the series this year, which proves its well on its way to becoming the second biggest supercross series in the world. It’s going to be an epic battle between Ryan Villopoto and his team mate Chad Reed, as well as all of Australia’s best who have been stepping it up every year.“
Other international riders heading down under to compete include:
- Geico Powersports Honda’s Kevin Windham (USA); Second overall in this year’s AMA World Supercross series (Canberra and Launceston)
- Red Bull Honda’s Davi Millsaps (USA); Third in this year’s AMA World Supercross series (Canberra and Launceston)
- Jagermeister KTM’s Mike Alessi (USA); (All rounds)
- Muscle Milk/Toyota/JGRMX’s Justin Brayton (USA); Fifth in this year’s AMA World Supercross series (Newcastle, Canberra and Launceston)
- Troy Lee Designs/Lucas Oil/Honda/Red Bull’s Ben Townley (NZ); Currently third overall in the AMA Pro Motocross Championship underway in the USA (Auckland and Dunedin)
- Australia’s greatest ever supercross rider and twice world champion, Monster Energy Kawasaki’s Chad Reed, will be competing and all of Australia’s best including CDR Rockstar Yamaha’s Jay Marmont, Rockstar Motul Suzuki twins Matt and Jake Moss as well as young gun JDR Motorex KTM’s Tye Simmonds.
Tickets to the Sydney and Brisbane events are on sale now. To purchase tickets and series information visit www.superx.com.au
Monster Energy Super X series schedule:
- October 16 – Newcastle – Energy Australia Stadium
- October 23 – Canberra – Canberra Stadium
- October 30 – Launceston – Aurora Stadium
- November 13 – Auckland – North Harbour Stadium
- November 20 – Dunedin – Carisbrook Stadium
- November 27 – Sydney – Parramatta Stadium
- December 4 – Brisbane – QSAC
Download the new, Version 2 of Supercross.com iPhone app – get the results & more from all the major supercross & motocross race series
Join the Supercross Community – upload your own photos, build your profile, upload videos, post in the message boards, and more!
Get the latest Supercross.com site updates and info via Twitter