Aztec Family Raceway has been in operation since the early 1960’s. The track owner is Byron Wolf. Byron is a former Vail ski instructor and long-time motocross racer. He attends the World Vet Championships each year, getting good results.
Aztec has three race tracks (2 full-size and 1 for the Pee-Wees).
Aztec Family Raceway was once the home track for former factory rider Arlo Englund. Arlo raced AMA Nationals during the late ’70’s and early 80’s. He is one of only two riders to win a AMA National without a clutch. (He rode a Husqvarna 360 automatic.)
Two of the most recent National riders to come out of Colorado Springs & Aztec Family Raceway are Andrew Short of Team Honda and Josh Hansen of Team KTM. Andrew grew up in Colorado Springs, practicing and racing at Aztec during the early 1990’s. His father Howie Short has a family dentistry practice there. Josh and his father Donnie Hansen moved to Colorado from California in 1998.
Info about Aztec Family Raceway:
- Frequent Donnie Hansen Motocross Academy schools
- Free “Holeshot Tuesday” practice and “Wednesday Skills Classes”. (These are afternoon classes conducted by top local Pro riders Shawn Morgan, Kyle Summers, Chad Wollaston, Brandon Hightower and Justin Jobe. These classes are absolutely free of charge to any rider who wishes to participate.)
- Wednesday Night Racing series during the summer
- Winter Combat Series during winter
- Free lessons anytime to 50cc and Beginner riders
- Free admission for military veterans (Fort Carson is only 15 minutes away from Aztec.)
- AMA/SRAC sanctioned
- AHRMA vintage motocross events are held once a year
- Nice public rest rooms and a fully equipped/staffed emergency medical clinic
- Participants range in age from 4 to over 60 years old
- Open year round for practice
- Spectators always get in free on practice days
All in all, quite a nice, family friendly motorcycling environment!
For more info, you can contact Byron Wolf / Aztec Family Raceway, phone (719) 499-9154, web http://www.aztecraceway.com