Preview – Round 5 2013 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross – Budds Creek MX
It’s going to be round 5 of the 2013 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championships tomorrow at Budds Creek MX in Maryland.
- Let’s look at both what happened at the last race (Round 4 two weeks ago at Mt. Morris PA) and what happened at Budds Creek last year.
Villopoto, who is also the 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series champion, has a nice lead over Dungey in the 450 points coming into Budds Creek. Justin Barcia has third place, followed by teammate Trey Canard.
Ken Roczen leads the 250 points chase, but it’s a bit closer than the 450’s – he’s got Eli Tomac and teammate Marvin Musquin very close.
Two riders will be added to the 250 mix tomorrow – 250 East Supercross Champion Wil Hahn makes his return to racing, and rookie Adam Cianciarulo makes his debut.
Hahn hasn’t been sitting out by choice. He was sidelined for the first chunk of the outdoor season after suffering a wrist injury in the Supercross finale in Las Vegas, but he is ready to pick up where he left off. He says “I was looking forward to carrying that momentum from Supercross into Motocross, but it didn’t work out for me that way. But since the surgery on my wrist, I’ve been working as hard as I can. I’ve had some good therapy to get this thing healed and get back on the bike as soon as possible. I’ve been focusing on my cardio, so I’ve logged a lot of miles on my bicycle,” Hahn said. “The main thing for me was getting back on my GEICO Honda motorcycle. After the testing I’ve done, I feel like I’ve got a strong bike.”
Teammate Eli Tomac is looking forward to having Hahn back on the track.
“It’s going to be a good thing to have Wil back and have another GEICO rider on the gate who can get between myself and Ken Roczen for points,” Tomac said. “It’ll also be fun to have everyone back in the hauler.”
Tomac, who is second in the 250cc standings (five points out of the lead), took the week between races to give his body a chance to recover following the first four events of the season.
“I took my first couple of days easy and got some rest because that’s what my body needed,” Tomac said. “I’d been going hard for quite a few weeks. I’m in good enough shape that I just needed to rest.
“If you are trying to gain fitness at this time of year, you are kind of behind the ball.”
Monster Energy / Pro Circuit / Kawasaki’s Adam Cianciarulo will make his Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship debut. Cianciarulo had planned to compete in the entire championship until an ill-timed bout of salmonella poisoning struck the amateur champion leading up to Hangtown. After a month of recovery, Cianciarulo is ready to compete.
“It was the worst possible time to get sick,” laughed Cianciarulo. “It took a lot out of me, but sitting out the first four rounds has allowed me to get back to 100-percent and I think I’m coming into Budds Creek even more prepared than I was for Hangtown.”
The Port Orange, Fla., native joins his teammates Blake Baggett, Tyla Rattray, Martin Davalos, Darryn Durham, and Justin Hill. Defending 250 champion Baggett sits fourth overall in the 250 class championship and Rattray achieved his first 450 class podium finish at Round 4 in High Point.
“We wanted to make sure Adam was in top condition before lining up,” said Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki’s Mitch Payton. “He has the advantage of having experienced teammates in Tyla and Blake to help him along the way and we expect him to be battling up front.”
Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, sanctioned by AMA Pro Racing – Series Statistical Report. Courtesy MX Sports
- This year marks the 24th running of the Budds Creek National
- In 2007, Budds Creek MX Park was the host venue for the Motocross of Nations
450 Class Stats
- The first 450 Class race held at Budds Creek was May 22, 1994. Mike LaRocco won on a Kawasaki.
- This will be the 20th time the gate will drop at Budds Creek for the 450 Class.
- Ricky Carmichael held a perfect record at Budds Creek. In eight starts, he posted eight overall wins, winning 13 of 16 motos.
- Ryan Villopoto will attempt to become the third rider to win Budds Creek in both classes.
- Chad Reed is the only international rider to ever win a 450 Class overall at Budds Creek.
- Honda and Suzuki have combined to win nine of the last 11 races in the 450 Class at Budds Creek between three riders – Ricky Carmichael, Chad Reed and Ryan Dungey.
- Ryan Dungey went (1-1) in the 450 Class in 2012, giving the KTM brand its first win at Budds Creek.
- Florida residents have won the last 12 races in the 450 Class at Budds Creek – Chad Reed (’09 & ’11), Ryan Dungey (’10), James Stewart (’08), Ricky Carmichael (’00-’07)
- Wins by brand at Budds Creek: Honda – 7, Suzuki – 5, Kawasaki – 4, Yamaha – 2, KTM – 1First time winners at Budds Creek: Ezra Lusk, 1997 – Yamaha
- Riders to win at Budds Creek in both classes: Ricky Carmichael, James Stewart
- Overall wins: Ryan Villopoto – 3, Ryan Dungey – 1
- Moto wins: Ryan Villopoto – 7, Ryan Dungey – 1
- Laps led – Ryan Villopoto – 94, Justin Barcia – 23, James Stewart – 11, Ryan Dungey – 9
250 Class Stats
- The first 250 Class race was held at Budds Creek on October 8, 1989. Mike Kiedrowski won on a Honda.
- This will be the 24th time the gate will drop for a 250 Class race at Budds Creek.
- Steve Lamson (’94-’96), James Stewart (’02-’04) and Ryan Villopoto (’06-’08) have won three races in a row at Budds Creek.
- Kawasaki has won 11 of the last 12 races at Budds Creek, including the last seven straight (each by Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki).
- Budds Creek has welcomed five different winners over the last five seasons in the 250 Class.
- With Tyla Rattray and Dean Wilson both graduated from the 250 Class, Blake Baggett looks to be the next repeat winner-since Ryan Villopoto’s 2008 victory-at Budds Creek.
- Wins by brand at Budds Creek: Kawasaki – 13, Honda – 7, Yamaha – 2, Suzuki – 1
- First time winners at Budds Creek: Tallon Vohland, 1999 – Honda, Dean Wilson, 2010 – Kawasaki
- Overall wins: Ken Roczen – 1, Eli Tomac – 1, Marvin Musquin – 2
- Moto wins: Ken Roczen – 5, Eli Tomac – 2, Marvin Musquin – 1
- Overall Wins by Brand: KTM – 3, Honda – 1
- Laps led (total): Ken Roczen – 79, Eli Tomac – 33, Marvin Musquin – 20, Blake Baggett – 1, Cooper Webb – 1
Past Winners – BUDDS CREEK MX PARK – Mechanicsville, Md.
June 16, 2012 / Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN / KTM
June 18, 2011 / Chad Reed, Australia / Honda
June 19, 2010 / Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN / Suzuki
August 22, 2009 / Chad Reed, Australia / Suzuki
July 13, 2008 / James Stewart, Haines City, FL / Kawasaki
June 17, 2007 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Suzuki
June 18, 2006 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Suzuki
June 19, 2005 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Suzuki
June 20, 2004 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Honda
June 15, 2003 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Honda
June 16, 2002 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Honda
June 17, 2001 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Kawasaki
June 18, 2000 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Kawasaki
June 20, 1999 / Kevin Windham, Ethel, LA / Honda
June 21, 1998 / Doug Henry, Oxford, CT / Yamaha
June 15, 1997 / Ezra Lusk, Bainbridge, GA / Yamaha
June 16, 1996 / Jeremy McGrath, Menifee, CA / Honda
June 18, 1995 / Jeremy McGrath, Murrieta, CA / Honda
May 22, 1994 / Mike LaRocco, South Bend, IN / Kawasaki
June 16, 2012 / Blake Baggett / Grand Terrace, CA / Kawasaki
June 18, 2011 / Tyla Rattray / South Africa / Kawasaki
June 19, 2010 / Dean Wilson, Scotland / Kawasaki
August 22, 2009 / Jake Weimer, Rupert, ID / Kawasaki
July 13, 2008 / Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, WA / Kawasaki
June 17, 2007 / Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, WA / Kawasaki
June 18, 2006 / Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, WA / Kawasaki
June 19, 2005 / Michael Brown, Johnson City, TN / Honda
June 20, 2004 / James Stewart, Haines City, FL / Kawasaki
June 15, 2003 / James Stewart, Haines City, FL / Kawasaki
June 16, 2002 / James Stewart, Haines City, FL / Kawasaki
June 17, 2001 / Michael Brown, Piney Flats, TN / Kawasaki
June 18, 2000 / Stephane Roncada, France / Yamaha
June 20, 1999 / Tallon Vohland, Citrus Heights, CA / Honda
June 21, 1998 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Kawasaki
June 15, 1997 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Kawasaki
June 16, 1996 / Steve Lamson, Pollick Pines, CA / Honda
June 18, 1995 / Steve Lamson, Pollock Pines, CA / Honda
May 22, 1994 / Steve Lamson, Pollock Pines, CA / Honda
October 4, 1992 / Jeff Emig, Highland, CA / Yamaha
October 6, 1991 / Guy Cooper, Stillwater, OK / Suzuki
October 7, 1990 / Mike Kiedrowski, Canyon Country, CA / Honda
October 8, 1989 / Mike Kiedrowski, Canyon Country, CA / Honda
October 4, 1992 / Jeff Stanton, Sherwood, MI / Honda
October 6, 1991 / Jean-Michel Bayle, France / Honda
October 7, 1990 / Jeff Stanton, Sherwood, MI / Honda
October 8, 1989 / Jean-Michel Bayle, France / Honda