The 20th Annual AMA Amateur National MX Championships at Loretta Lynn’s wrapped up Saturday, August 11th.
James “Bubba” Stewart became the winningest amateur ever with 11 total championships. He won every moto of the 125 Mod 12-15 and 125 A classes this week.
Andrew Short won the 125 A Pro Sport class after a close battle with Josh Hansen and Chase Reed. Hanson won the 250/Open B Mod title. Josh Woods won the 250/Open Pro Sport.
Mountain bike legend John Tomac won the Vet B/C class in a last moto thriller. Tomac went down in the first turn of the last moto and moved up far enough to finish second overall, then Rodney Cavender, who also fell in the first turn and was about to take the title, was knocked off his bike on the last lap.
Minibike sensation Mike Alessi won the 85 Mod 9-13 class. Broc Hepler won the 85 Mod 14-15. The toughest mini class, the 105 Super Mini, went to Jimmy Nelson.
The Women’s 105-125 Up class had great racing, with Stefy Bau finishing 1-1-2 and taking her first Loretta’s title. Defending champion Jessica Patterson suffered a broken leg while leading the second moto.
Tennessee’s Kevin Walker was the fastest old guy, winning both the Vet A Plus 30 and the Plus 25 classes.
The Loretta’s Lynn’s Amateur championships are seen as the most important preparation for professional motocross racing. Scouts and representatives attend the event throughout the week to congratulate the winners, pose for photos, and make the all-important deals for the nest season. Twelve minibike riders in the 85 Stock 12-13 class were chosen here to compete in the prestigious US Open at the Las vegas MGM Grand in October.
Past champions of Loretta’s include Travis Pastrana, Ricky Carmichael, Tim Ferry, Kevin Windham, Ryan Hughes, Jeff Emig, Ernesto Fonseca, Mike LaRocco, and Mike Brown.
Here’s a complete list of champions:
1. 250/OPEN A: Steve Mertins
2. 125 Mod 12-15: James Stewart, Jr
3. Masters Plus 50: Ike De Jager
4. 65 STOCK 10-11: Ricky Renner
5. 250/OPEN B MOD: Joshua Hansen
6. VET B/C PLUS 30: John Tomac
7. 85 MOD 9-13: Mike Alessi
8. 125A PRO SPORT: Andrew Short
9. WOMEN 80-105: Leah Cantrell
10. 125B STOCK: Gavin Gracyk
11. 125C STOCK: Shaun Skinner
12. 85 STOCK 7-11: Joshua Hill
13. FOUR STRK 201-650: Brian Carroll
14. 85 MOD 14-15: Broc Hepler
15. SENIOR PLUS 40: David Mack
16. 125A: James Stewart Jr.
17. 125B MOD: Michael Blose
18. 125C MOD: Jeremy Allison
19. VET A PLUS 30: Kevin Walker
20. 85 STOCK 12-13: Jason Lawrence
21. 65 MOD 7-11: Sean Hackley Jr.
22. 250/OPEN B STOCK: Gavin Gracyk
23. 250/OPEN PRO SPRT: Joshua Woods
24. WOMEN 105-125 UP: Stefy Bau
25. 125 STOCK 12-15: Nicholas Adams
26. PLUS 25: Kevin Walker
27. 250/OPEN C: Brandon Stooksbury
28. 65 STOCK 7-9: Ben Lamay
29. 105 SUPER MINI: Jimmy Nelson
A. 51 7-8 CLASS 2: Shawn Rife
B. 51 4-6 CLASS 1: Joseph Peters
C. 51 4-6 SHAFT: Tyler Mcswain