FIM Motocross World Championships & Grand Prix Commission rule changes for 2009
The Motocross/SuperMoto Grand Prix Commission, composed of Dr. Wolfgang Srb, President of the CMS/FIM, Mr. Giuseppe Luongo, President of Youthstream, and Mr. Takanao Tsubouchi, MSMA (Motorcycle Sport Manufacturers Association) Secretary General, in a meeting held in France, on June 14, decided to introduce the following changes to the Regulations, all for application as from January 1, 2009.
– 40 entries in MX1, all 40 riders take part in the GP (2 x free practice + 1 race of 20 min + 2 laps on Saturday for the starting positions on Sunday).
– 40 entries in MX2, all 40 riders take part in the GP (2 x free practice + 1 race of 20 min + 2 laps on Saturday for the starting positions on Sunday).
– Youthstream will enter 38 riders per class (MX1 and MX2) and the FMNR will enter a maximum of 2 riders per class. Teams/manufacturers can propose to Youthstream a maximum of 24 riders in MX1 as well as in MX2. The remaining riders will be entered directly by Youthstream as wild card riders.
Acceptance of entries in the MX3 World Championship as of 2009:
– The entries in MX3 will be managed by Youthstream. No limit on the number of entries; the FMNR may enter 10 riders.
– Telemetry is forbidden (Art. 01.18). No change of settings of a machine must occur by outside remote control, from the pit-lane, box, etc; however, data-recording (without being transmitted during practices or races) is acceptable.
The FIM, Youthstream and MSMA are in favor to keep Motocross as a basic sport, easily affordable for young riders, with low maintenance costs.