More than Twenty Entities Move onto Second Phase of RFP Process
ESPN, the leading action sports content provider and creator of the X Games, has qualified entities representing more than 20 North American cities to move onto the second phase of the RFP process to host the X Games. Two North American cities will be selected as X Games hosts with the hosting periods running for three consecutive years. Following ESPN’s October announcement that it was exploring opportunities to move the event to new locations in North America after the existing agreements between Los Angeles partner AEG and Aspen’s Aspen Skiing Company (ASC) conclude in 2013 and 2014, respectively, interested entities formally submitted letters of intent. The first hosting period will begin in 2014 and the second in 2015. The aim is to explore different options and determine what is best for the progression and growth of the X Games franchise. Official proposals from the qualified entities are due to ESPN by April 2.
The X Games 2013 global expansion officially kicks off Jan. 24-27 at X Games Aspen and ESPN will continue to work with qualified cities and entities to help them better understand the details of the RFP process as well as the long-term strategy of the X Games franchise.
The 17 cities and their representing Entity/Facility that have met ESPN’s initial qualification guidelines and have chosen to be identified include:
- Aspen/Snowmass, Colorado (winter) – Aspen Skiing Company
- Atlanta, Georgia (summer) – Atlanta Sports Council
- Austin, Texas (summer) – Circuit of the Americas
- Charlotte, North Carolina (summer) – Charlotte Motor Speedway
- Chicago, Illinois (summer) – Chicago Sports Commission
- Detroit, Michigan (summer) – Action Sports Detroit, LLC
- Fort Worth, Texas (summer) – Texas Motor Speedway
- Houston, Texas (summer) – Harris County – Houston Sports Authority
- Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada (winter) – Lake Tahoe Sports Organizing Committee
- Long Beach, California (summer) – Coast Competitions of Long Beach
- Minneapolis, Minnesota (summer) – Meet Minneapolis, Convention & Visitors Assoc.
- Montreal, Canada (summer) – Gestev, Inc.
- New Orleans, Louisiana (summer) – Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation
- Park City, Utah (winter) – Park City, Utah
- Pasadena, California (summer) – The Rose Bowl Stadium
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (summer) – Philadelphia Sports Congress/Comcast- Spectacor
- Quebec City & Le Massif de Charlevoix, Canada (winter) – Quebec Snow Sport Events, Inc. & Gestev, Inc.