Chad Reed, the 2009 AMA Motocross Champion, two-time AMA Supercross Champion, and defending Australasian Supercross Series Champion, has won the 2009 Australasian Supercross Series Championship!
The Monster Energy Kawasaki rider won the seventh and final round of the Monster Energy Super X series at QSAC stadium in Brisbane tonight. American Honda rider Davi Millsaps finished second, with Jay Marmont taking the third spot on the podium.
In the final series championship point standings, Daniel Reardon finished second, and Jay Marmont finished third.
This event was the biggest Australian supercross race ever, and had the largest track ever as well – over one kilometer in length, and using 7,500 tons of dirt.
Tonight’s winner, and new supercross champion Chad Reed said: I just want to say a huge thanks to Kawasaki and Monster Energy and I am so excited for the new year. We have had a few ups and downs this series, but that’s racing and it’s great to finish on top. We really stepped up the series this year and I am proud to be a part of it. I like the direction the series is going and want to thank everyone involved. I know next year is going to be even bigger and better.
American Kyle Cunningham won the 250 Lites event tonight. Matt Moss clinched the 250 championship a couple rounds ago, has been riding in the 450 Supercross class, but had a tough night tonight.
Monster Energy Super X will return to Australia and New Zealand in 2010, with the series calendar to be released early next year.
450 Supercross Results:
- Chad REED, Monster Energy Kawasaki
- Davi MILLSAPS, Red Bull Honda USA
- Jay MARMONT, CDR Rockstar Yamaha
- Dan REARDON, Woodstock Honda Thor Racing
- Daniel McCOY, Pacific Ink Coastal KTM High Roller Energy
- PJ LARSEN, JDR Motorsports / MX Rad
- Tye SIMMONDS, Motorex KTM
- Michael BYRNE, Rockstar Maxima Honda Racing
- Cameron TAYLOR, SP Motorsports Byrners Suzuki
- Michael ADDISON, 07 Axis Motorsports
- Kyle CUNNINGHAM, Yamaha
- Lawson BOPPING, Shift Motul Suzuki
- Brendan HARRISON, Titan Garages / North Star Yamaha
- Luke STYKE, Yamaha
- Luke ARBON, Kawasaki Racing Team
Final point standings – 450 Supercross:
- Chad REED, Monster Energy Kawasaki, 157
- Dan REARDON, Woodstock Honda Thor Racing, 136
- Jay MARMONT, CDR Rockstar Yamaha, 134
- Tye SIMMONDS, Motorex KTM, 122
- Daniel McCOY, Pacific Ink Coastal KTM High Roller Energy Team,110
- Cody MACKIE, Cool Air Conditioning Kawasaki, 88
- Craig ANDERSON, Cool Air Conditioning Kawasaki, 82
- Cameron TAYLOR, SP Motorsports Byrners Suzuki, 81
- Michael BYRNE, Rockstar Maxima Honda Racing, 80
- Robbie MARSHALL, Titan Garages / Northstar Yamaha, 69
Final point standings – 250:
- Matt MOSS, Rockstar Motul Suzuki, 125
- Kyle CUNNINGHAM, Serco Yamaha, 122
- Lawson BOPPING, Rockstar Motul Suzuki, 116
- Ryan MARMONT, JDR Motorsports / MX Rad, 103
- Brendan HARRISON, Titan Garages / North Star Yamaha, 99
Thanks everyone at Global Action Sports, Rush Sports, and Sport the Library
Click on thumbnails to view the larger images – all photos are of Chad Reed, and one is of Kyle Cunningham
Join the Supercross Community! Right here! Right now! Upload your own photos & videos. Free!
You can follow Supercross.com on Twitter – http://twitter.com/supercrosscom