It’s the first time Monster Energy AMA Supercross has been in Minnesota since 2008. And if check out one of the links below, you’ll see what Supercross.com’s 2008 race report looked like back in 2008 for Minneapolis. Josh Hill won the 450 SX Main, and Ryan Villopoto won his first ever 250 Lites Supercross event.
But it’s now 2013. Time for Round 14 of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series. The big questions at the top of everyone’s thoughts coming into this event: Can Ryan Villopoto be beat? Or will Davi Millsaps and Ryan Dungey step up? What’s going to happen in the ultra-close 250 East SX series between Wil Hahn and Marvin Musquin?
First, you’ll need to catch up on what everyone has done last week in Houston – it’s going to give you the results, the latest point standings, photos, and more. And then check out the last time SX was in MN!
Notes and stats courtesy Feld Motorsports
450 SX Class Stats Minneapolis
· This will be the 13th time the gate will drop for a 450SX Class race in Minneapolis
· The first race held was on April 16th, 1994, and Jeremy McGrath would won a Honda
· Jeremy McGrath won six in-a-row in Minneapolis from ’94 – ’99
· McGrath became the first rider in 450SX Class history to win at the same venue on three different brands. He achieved this in Minneapolis with wins on a Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki.
· This is the first race in Minneapolis since 2008. Josh Hill won that race, which was his first and only career 450SX Class victory.
· KTM has never won here. Can Ryan Dungey change this at his home town track?
· In 1997 the Metrodome hosted its largest-attended supercross race with 60,049 fans; In the 12 races held at the Metrodome, 635,913 fans have attended with an average attendance of 52,992.
· The Metrodome is the 94th different venue to host a 450 SX Class race
· In 12 races, from 1994 to 2008, only five different riders won in Minneapolis: McGrath: 6; Ricky Carmichael: 3; David Vuillemin: 1; Kevin Windham: 1; Josh Hill: 1
· Windham is the first rider to win Minneapolis in both classes
450 SX Class Minneapolis wins by brand: Honda: 6, Yamaha: 4, Kawasaki: 1, Suzuki: 1
250 SX Class Stats Minneapolis
· The first race was held on April 16, 1994, and Damon Huffman won on a Suzuki
· This is the 13th time the gate will drop for a 250 SX Class race in Minneapolis
· Kevin Windham earned his first-ever 250 SX Class victory in Minneapolis in 1996
· Can Suzuki win back-to-back for the first time since the second and third races of the 2009 season? Ryan Dungey accomplished this for Suzuki.
· Ryan Villopoto won the last 250SX Class race here in 2008
· Having won 250SX Class Main Events in Minneapolis, James Stewart or Villopoto can join Windham as dual-class winners with a win this weekend
250 SX Class Minneapolis wins by brand: Suzuki: 5, Yamaha: 3, Kawasaki: 3, Honda: 1
450 SX Class Lap Lead: Ryan Villopoto: 125, Davi Millsaps: 47, James Stewart: 35, Justin Barcia: 20, Ryan Dungey: 19, Trey Canard: 7, Ken Roczen: 3, Mike Alessi: 2 Jake Weimer: 1
250 SX Class Laps Led: Eli Tomac: 39, Marvin Musquin: 31, Wil Hahn: 30, Blake Wharton: 28, Cole Seely: 21, Ken Roczen: 19, Dean Wilson: 15, Martin Davalos: 7, Jason Anderson: 4
Note: TwoTwo Motorsports Honda’s Chad Reed was out of action in Houston following surgery to repair the knee he injured last season. The timetable for Reed’s return was uncertain, but he could be back in action this weekend as his recovery has gone well. The TwoTwo Motorsports race rig is in Minneapolis, prepared to put Reed out on the track if he’s ready.
Broadcast coverage from Minneapolis will air live via next-day coverage, with the 450SX Class airing Sunday, April 14, at 12 noon EST on CBS Sports. Coverage of the 250SX Class will follow on SPEED at 4:30 p.m. ET.
Past Winners in Minneapolis
450 SX Class
March 15, 2008: Josh Hill
February 21, 2004: Kevin Windham
February 15, 2003: Ricky Carmichael
February 16, 2002: Ricky Carmichael
March 17, 2001: Ricky Carmichael
March 26, 2000: David Vuillemin
March 20, 1999: Jeremy McGrath
March 21, 1998: Jeremy McGrath
March 15, 1997: Jeremy McGrath
January 20, 1996: Jeremy McGrath
January 21, 1995: Jeremy McGrath
April 16, 1994: Jeremy McGrath
250 SX Class
March 15, 2008: Ryan Villopoto
February 21, 2004: James Stewart
February 15, 2003: Branden Jesseman
February 16, 2002: Chad Reed
March 17, 2001: Travis Pastrana
March 26, 2000: Derrick Shae Bentley
March 20, 1999: David Pingree
March 21, 1998: Stephane Roncada
March 15, 1997: Kevin Windham
January 20, 1996: Kevin Windham
January 21, 2005: Damon Huffman
April 16, 1994: Damon Huffman