2013 Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross – Round 4 – High Point MX
AMA Motocross comes to High Point MX in Mt. Morris PA. Supercross Champion Ryan Villopoto sweeps both motos in 450 class. Marvin Musquin victorious in 250 class
Can defending champion Blake Baggett (250 class) score his first win of the season? will Ryan Dungey (450 class) grab his second win of the season? Or will series points leaders Kenny Roczen (250) class and Ryan Villopoto (450 class) get back to their winning ways?
In 250 Qualifying, the quickest lap was turned in by the number 1 Kawasaki of Blake Baggett – 2 minutes 14 seconds. Then, both in the 2:15 second range, Red Bull KTM teammates Ken Roczen and Marvin Musquin. Fourth at 2:16:51 is Zach Osborne. Followed by Jason Anderson, Jeremy Martin, Eli Tomac, Justin Bogle, Nico Izzi, and Martin Davalos tenth (2:18). 76 riders attempted to qualify. The track is a bit rutted from rain earlier in the week.
In 450 Qualifying, the quickest lap of the day belongs to Ryan Villopoto – 2 minutes 13 seconds. Then Ryan Dungey 2:15:05. Broc Tickle of the RCH Suzuki team third at 2:15:84, James Stewart 2:16:44, Ryan Sipes, Tyla Rattray, Mike Alessi, Trey Canard, Justin Brayton, and Jake Weimer (2:18:55) tenth. Chad Reed qualified 18th – 2:21. 78 riders attempted to qualify.
Click on thumbnails to view larger images from the High Point MX
450 Moto 1 – the early leader is Ryan Villopoto. As they complete the first lap of the 30 minute plus 2 lap moto, it’s Villopoto, Justin Barcia, Tyla Rattray, Malcolm Stewart, Ryan Dungey, Andrew Short, Ryan Sipes, Josh Grant, Justin Brayton, and Phil Nicoletti. James Stewart is 12th, Chad Reed 13th, Broc Tickle 15th.
Ryan Villopoto is running away with this race. 15 minutes (6 laps) into this race, he leads Justin Barcia by 16 seconds. Ryan Dungey has passed Tyla Rattray and moved into third. Then Rattray, Sipes, Grant, Canard, Nicoletti, Weimer, M Alessi. James Stewart 12th, Chad Reed 16th.
At the end of lap 7, Dungey has moved past Barcia and into second.
Ryan Villopoto takes the win in this 16 lap race. He’s followed by Ryan Dungey, Justin Barcia, Tyla Rattray, Josh Grant, Ryan Sipes, Trey Canard, Jake Weimer, Phil Nicoletti and Mike Alessi finishes tenth. Chad Reed 14th. James Stewart is being scored at 16th right now …
250 Moto 1 – the early leader is Zach Osborne (338). But by the end of the first lap, it’s Kenny Roczen with the lead! Then Cole Seely, Marvin Musquin, Justin Bogle, Zach Osborne, Jason Anderson, Darryn Durham, Eli Tomac 8th, Joey Savatgy, Jeremy Martin tenth, and Blake Baggett is 12th.
15 minutes into this race, Ken Roczen leads Red Bull KTM teammate Marvin Musquin by 12 seconds. Eli Tomac has moved up to third! Then it’s Justin Bogle, and, Blake Baggett has moved to fifth! Then Zach Osborne, Cooper Webb, Cole Seely, and Kyle Cunningham.
The Red Bull KTM ‘boys’ have done it. Kenny Roczen has won this 16 lap race. Marvin Musquin takes second. Third is Eli Tomac, then Blake Baggett, Justin Bogle, Cooper Webb, Kyle Cunningham, Darryn Durham, Jeremy Martin, and Zach Osborne 10th.
450 Moto 2 – the leader at the end of the first lap is James Stewart! He’s followed by Josh Grant. Ryan Dungey is third, with Ryan Villopoto fourth. Then it’s Mike Alessi, Tyla Rattray, Justin Barcia, Jake Weimer, Malcolm Stewart, and Ryan Sipes. Trey Canard is 11th, Chad Reed 13th.
Lap three – Dungey has gone around Josh Grant. The running order is James Stewart first, Ryan Dungey second, Josh Grant third, Ryan Villopoto fourth, Mike Alessi now fifth. Then Rattray, Barcia, M Stewart, R Sipes, and Canard.
On lap four, Villopoto has moved past Grant. It’s Stewart, Dungey, Villopoto – all of them have won 450 National MX Championships in their career, and all have won 450 Supercross Championships as well.
Villopoto now goes past Dungey and into second position. The top three are very close – Stewart leading, Villopoto second, Dungey third.
On lap 7, 15 minutes into the race, Ryan Villopoto has moved into the lead. The running order – Villopoto, Dungey, Mike Alessi, Tyla Rattray, Trey Canard, Ryan Sipes, Malcolm Stewart, Chad Reed, Justin Barcia, and Jake Weimer. Stewart is out of the race! (He pulls off the track – there is a problem with the front wheel of his motorcycle.)
At the ten lap mark, Villopoto leads Dungey, but only by 3.7 seconds. Mike Alessi is third with his best ride of the season – about 30 seconds back of the lead two! Then Rattray, Canard, Sipes, Barcia, Reed, Grant, and M Stewart.
Ryan Villopoto, the 2013 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Series Champion, has won this 17 lap race, going 1/1 on the day for the overall victory. With the motocross season now 1/3 complete, Villopoto stands atop the points chase in this series as well. The rest of the finishing positions in this moto – Dungey second, Alessi third, Rattray, Canard, Sipes, Barcia, Grant, Weimer, and Justin Brayton tenth (full results below).
250 Moto 2 – the leader at the end of lap one – Marvin Musquin! Zach Osborne is second, followed by Jeremy Martin, Joey Savatgy, Ken Roczen, Martin Davalos, Jason Anderson, Justin Bogle, Eli Tomac, and Cooper Webb tenth.
Four laps into this race it’s Marvin Musquin leading Zach Osborne by less than one second. Ken Roczen is third, followed by Jeremy Martin, Joey Savatgy, Martin Davalos, and Jason Anderson. Justin Bogle is eighth, teammate Eli Tomac is ninth, and Blake Baggett is 10th.
Lap six sees some changes. Marvin Musquin still leads, but teammate Ken Roczen has passed Osborne and moved into second position. Then it’s Osborne, Jeremy Martin, Joey Savatgy, Jason Anderson, Martin Davalos, Justin Bogle, Blake Baggett, and Cooper Webb. Eli Tomac has dropped to 11th.
10 laps into this race, it’s Marvin Musquin leading Ken Roczen by just over 1 second! Zach Osborne is a ways back in third.
If things continue this way, Marvin will win his second overall event in a row! (Both Ken and Marvin would each have a a win and a second, tying on points – 45 each, but Marvin would get the overall win based on the better second moto performance.)
This race goes 17 laps. Marvin Musquin wins it, and the overall victory! Ken Roczen is second, and extends his series points lead. Third place in this moto goes to Zach Osborne. Eli Tomac moves up to finish fourth, then Joey Savatgy and Jeremy Martin with good rides. The rest of the top ten – Anderson, Baggett, Bogle, Davalos (results below).
- Ryan Villopoto – KAW – 1/1
- Ryan Dungey – KTM – 2/2
- Tyla Rattray – KAW – 4/4
- Justin Barcia – HON – 3/7
- Mike Alessi – SUZ – 10/3
- Trey Canard – HON – 7/5
- Ryan Sipes – SUZ – 6/6
- Josh Grant – YAM – 5/8
- Jake Weimer – KAW – 8/9
- Broc Tickle – SUZ – 11/11
- Phil Nicoletti – YAM – 9/14
- Justin Brayton – YAM – 15/10
- Malcolm Stewart – HON – 12/12
- Chad Reed – HON – 14/13
- Vince Friese – KTM – 17/15
- Marvin Musquin – KTM – 2/1
- Ken Roczen – KTM – 1/2
- Eli Tomac – HON – 3/4
- Zach Osborne – HON – 10/3
- Blake Baggett – KAW – 4/8
- Justin Bogle – KAW – 5/9
- Jeremy Martin – YAM – 9/6
- Cooper Webb – YAM – 6/11
- Joey Savatgy – KTM – 13/5
- Jason Anderson – SUZ – 12/7
- Kyle Cunningham – YAM – 7/16
- Martin Davalos – KAW – 14/10
- Justin Hill – KAW – 11/13
- Darryn Durham – KAW – 8/34
- Blake Wharton – SUZ – 35/12
450 Point Standings:
- Ryan Villopoto – 193
- Ryan Dungey – 177
- Justin Barcia – 148
- Trey Canard – 120
- Mike Alessi – 116
- James Stewart – 104
- Tyla Rattray – 95
- Ryan Sipes – 79
- Jake Weimer – 69
- Broc Tickle – 67
- Andrew Short – 62
- Phil Nicoletti – 61
- Josh Grant – 60
- Clement Desalle – 58
- Malcolm Stewart – 55
250 Point Standings:
- Ken Roczen – 185
- Eli Tomac – 170
- Marvin Musquin – 163
- Blake Baggett – 141
- Zach Osborne – 127
- Jason Anderson – 100
- Cooper Webb – 90
- Justin Bogle – 89
- Jeremy Martin – 88
- Kyle Cunningham – 81
- Martin Davalos – 73
- Joey Savatgy – 70
- Justin Hill – 69
- Blake Wharton – 66
- Cole Seely – 59
Notes Mt. Morris – courtesy MX Sports
- Reigning 450 Class Champion Ryan Dungey swept both motos at last year’s High Point National, en route to a championship-winning season for KTM.
- The last time 450 Class points leader Ryan Villopoto raced at High Point was in 2011, where he went 2-1 for the overall victory.
- Ryan Dungey looks to be the first back-to-back winner at High Point since Ricky Carmichael’s six-race streak from 2002-2007.
- Pennsylvania native Darryn Durham will race in his home state for the first time since 2011. Durham will compete on the Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki team in the 250 Class.
450 Class Stats
- The first 450 Class race was held at High Point on May 29, 1977. Tony Distefano won on a Suzuki.
- This will be the 37th time the gate will drop for the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship at High Point.
- In 2011, Ryan Villopoto became the sixth different rider in history to win in both the 450 Class and 250 Class at High Point.
- Chad Reed is the only rider in history to get his first career wins in both the 450 Class and 250 Class at High Point.
- The last five High Point winners are all former Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Champions and will be lining up in the 450 Class Saturday.
- Ricky Carmichael is the winningest rider at High Point, with six-consecutive victories from 2002-2007.
- Riders to win at High Point in both classes: Ryan Villopoto, Chad Reed, James Stewart, Ricky Carmichael, Jeff Emig, Doug Henry
- Overall Wins: Ryan Villopoto – 2, Ryan Dungey – 1
- Moto Wins: Ryan Villopoto – 5, Ryan Dungey – 1
- Laps led: Ryan Villopoto – 67, Justin Barcia – 23, James Stewart – 5, Ryan Dungey – 9
250 Class Stats
- The first 250 Class race at High Point was held May 29, 1983, exactly six years after the track hosted its inaugural event. Mark Barnett won on a Suzuki.
- This will be the 31st season the gate will drop for a 250 Class race at High Point.
- Eli Tomac is looking to become the third rider in history to claim back-to-back 250 Class wins at High Point, joining Ricky Carmichael and Micky Dymond.
- KTM’s first ever Lucas Oil Motocross victory came at High Point, when Kelly Smith took the overall in the 250 Class during the 2000 season.
- Monster Energy/Pro Circuit/Kawasaki won four consecutive years in the 250 Class, only to be stopped by GEICO Honda’s Eli Tomac in 2012.
- Overall Wins: Ken Roczen – 1, Eli Tomac – 1, Marvin Musquin – 1
- Moto Wins: Ken Roczen – 4, Eli Tomac – 2
- Laps led: Ken Roczen – 63, Eli Tomac – 33, Marvin Musquin – 3, Blake Baggett – 1, Cooper Webb – 1
Past Winners – HIGH POINT RACEWAY – Mt. Morris, Pa.
June 9, 2012 / Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN / KTM
June 11, 2011 / Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, WA / Kawasaki
June 12, 2010 / Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, MN / Suzuki
June 13, 2009 / Chad Reed, Australia / Suzuki
June 15, 2008 / James Stewart, Haines City, FL / Kawasaki
May 27, 2007 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Suzuki
May 28, 2006 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Suzuki
May 29, 2005 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Suzuki
May 30, 2004 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Honda
May 25, 2003 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Honda
May 26, 2002 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Honda
May 27, 2001 / David Vuillemin, France / Yamaha
May 28, 2000 / David Vuillemin, France / Yamaha
May 30, 1999 / Greg Albertyn, South Africa / Suzuki
May 24, 1998 / Ezra Lusk, Bainbridge, GA / Honda
May 25, 1997 / Damon Bradshaw, Boise, ID / Honda
May 26, 1996 / Jeff Emig, Riverside, CA / Kawasaki
May 28, 1995 / Doug Henry, Oxford, CT / Yamaha
May 29, 1994 / Mike Kiedrowski, Canyon Country, CA / Kawasaki
May 30, 1993 / Damon Bradshaw, Mooresville, NC / Yamaha
May 24, 1992 / Damon Bradshaw, Mooresville, NC / Yamaha
May 26, 1991 / Jeff Stanton, Sherwood, MI / Honda
May 27, 1990 / Damon Bradshaw, Charlotte, NC / Yamaha
May 28, 1989 / Jeff Stanton, Sherwood, MI / Honda
May 29, 1988 / Rick Johnson, El Cajon, CA / Honda
May 24, 1987 / Ron Lechien, El Cajon, CA / Kawasaki
May 25, 1986 / Rick Johnson, El Cajon, CA / Honda
May 26, 1985 / Jeff Ward, Mission Viejo, CA / Kawasaki
May 27, 1984 / Rick Johnson, El Cajon, CA / Yamaha
May 29, 1983 / Bob Hannah, Carson City, NV / Honda
May 30, 1982 / Rick Johnson, El Cajon, CA / Yamaha
May 24, 1981 / Kent Howerton, San Antonio, TX / Suzuki
May 25, 1980 / Kent Howerton, San Antonio, TX / Suzuki
July 8, 1979 / Kent Howerton, San Antonio, TX / Suzuki
July 29, 1978 / Jim Ellis, E. Hampton, CT / Honda
May 29, 1977 / Tony DiStefano, Morrisville, PA / Suzuki
June 9, 2012 / Eli Tomac, Cortez, CO / Honda
June 11, 2011 / Blake Baggett, Grand Terrace, CA / Kawasaki
June 12, 2010 / Tyla Rattray, South Africa / Kawasaki
June 13, 2009 / Christophe Pourcel, France / Kawasaki
June 15, 2008 / Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, WA / Kawasaki
May 27, 2007 / Joshua Grant, Riverside, CA / Honda
May 28, 2006 / Ryan Villopoto, Poulsbo, WA / Kawasaki
May 29, 2005 / Mike Alessi, Apple Valley, CA / KTM
May 30, 2004 / James Stewart, Haines City, FL / Kawasaki
May 25, 2003 / Michael Brown, Johnson City, TN / Kawasaki
May 26, 2002 / Chad Reed, Australia / Yamaha
May 27, 2001 / Travis Pastrana, Annapolis, MD / Suzuki
May 28, 2000 / Kelly Smith, Ludington, MI / KTM
May 30, 1999 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Kawasaki
May 24, 1998 / Ricky Carmichael, Havana, FL / Kawasaki
May 25, 1997 / Scott Sheak, Germantown, NY / Honda
May 26, 1996 / Kevin Windham, Baton Rouge, LA / Kawasaki
May 28, 1995 / Tim Ferry, Palm Harbor, FL / Suzuki
May 29, 1994 / Doug Henry, Oxford, CT / Honda
May 30, 1993 / Jeff Emig, Highland Ranch, CA / Yamaha
May 24, 1992 / Mike LaRocco, South Bend, IN / Kawasaki
May 26, 1991 / Brian Swink, Fenton, MI / Honda
May 27, 1990 / Jean-Michel Bayle, France / Honda
May 28, 1989 / George Holland, Kerman, CA / Honda
May 29, 1988 / Guy Cooper, Stillwater, OK / Suzuki
May 24, 1987 / Micky Dymond, Yorba Linda, CA / Honda
May 25, 1986 / Micky Dymond, Yorba Linda, CA / Honda
May 26, 1985 / Erik Kehoe, Granada Hills, CA / Suzuki
May 27, 1984 / Jeff Ward, Mission Viejo, CA / Kawasaki
May 29, 1983 / Mark Barnett, Bridgeview, IL / Suzuki
May 26, 1985 / David Bailey, Axton, VA / Honda
May 27, 1984 / David Bailey, Axton, VA / Honda
May 29, 1983 / Danny Chandler, Foresthill, CA / Honda
May 30, 1982 / Darrell Shultz, Trinidad, CA / Honda
May 24, 1981 / Broc Glover, El Cajon, CA / Yamaha
May 25, 1980 / Chuck Sun, Sherwood, OR / Honda
July 8, 1979 / Gaylon Mosier, Huntington Beach, CA / Kawasaki
July 9, 1978 / Rick Burgett, Sandy, OR / Yamaha