2011 AMA Arenacross Series Season Culminates in Des Moines
Courtesy Feld Motor Sports
After a weekend that saw the remaining AMA Arenacross Series championships be awarded to their respective champions, the 2011 season will draw to a close this weekend from Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, Iowa. As one of the longest-tenured venues in AMA Arenacross Series history, Wells Fargo Arena will host the season finale for 2011 after spending the last two seasons as the host of the annual prequel race.
Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE Kawasaki presented by Maxxis Tyler Bowers captured his first career professional title last weekend in Rockford, grabbing his series-leading 11th victory on Saturday night to put an exclamation point on his championship achievement. It’s been a dominant season for Bowers, who has rebounded from a broken leg one year ago that brought his 2010 title hopes to a heartbreaking conclusion.
While Bowers will enter Des Moines holding the number one plate, the battle for second in the championship rages on behind him. Throughout the 2011 championship, veteran rivals in TUF HondaÃ¢Â€Â™s Jeff Gibson and Babbitt’s Monster Energy/TiLUBE KawasakiÃ¢Â€Â™s Chad Johnson have battled it out for the right to stand beside Bowers on the championship podium. Gibson kicked-off the season with an impressive three-race winning streak while Johnson has come on strong throughout the second half of the season. Currently, eight points separate the two riders, and both will be looking to end the season on a high note Saturday night.
The Arenacross Lites class has also been the sight of some tremendous racing this season across both the Western and Eastern Regional Championships. This weekend in Des Moines, both regions will converge inside Wells Fargo Arena for their final round of the season in a showdown of the fastest riders from each region.
Recently-crowned Eastern Regional Champion Patrick Massie, who rides for Foremost Insurance/Spinechillers/HondaofFairfield.com, will lead the way as one of the winningest full-time competitors in the Arenacross Lites class. Joining Massie, in addition to the remainder of the field, is female competitor Vicki Golden. The AMA Arenacross Series rookie has garnered national attention this season by not only becoming the first full-time female competitor in the history of the sport, but by also showing the speed and skill necessary to compete at this elite level of the sport.
Since becoming the first female to ever qualify for a main event at the Sacramento round, Golden has been a staple in the final group of 16 riders. This weekend, she’ll look to take advantage of her final opportunity to break into the top 10 and thanks to the support of TUF Honda, will have a tremendous chance of doing so.
The final night of action for the 2011 AMA Arenacross Series kicks off on Saturday, April 9 at 7 p.m. CT.
Advance tickets are available for the Des Moines Arenacross at the Wells Fargo Arena Box Office, at local Dahl’s Foods locations, and by phone at 866-55-DAHLS. Tickets cost $2 more the day of the race.
Arenacross Class Points (After Race 18 of 19)
1. Tyler Bowers, Danville, Ky., Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 400
2. Jeff Gibson, Blacklick, Ohio, Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 364
3. Chad Johnson, Rhinelander, Wis., Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 356
4. Zach Ames, Prospect, Ohio, Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 286
5. Kelly Smith, Ludington, Mich., Yamaha Ã¢Â€Â“ 275
6. Nathan Skaggs, Chillicothe, Ohio, Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 269
7. Gray Davenport, Lehi, Utah, Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 260
8. Kevin Johnson, Spring, Texas, Yamaha Ã¢Â€Â“ 218
9. Cory Green, Nowata, Okla., Suzuki Ã¢Â€Â“ 196
10. Willy Browning, Pleasantville, Ohio, Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 191
Western Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 9 of 10)
1. Chad Cook, Oklahoma City, Okla., Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 188
2. Tanner Moore, Auburn, Kan., KTM Ã¢Â€Â“ 133
3. Aviery Hickey, Decatur, Texas, Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 124
4. Travis Smith, Lancaster, Calif., Yamaha Ã¢Â€Â“ 121
5. Tanner Young, Marland, Okla., Yamaha Ã¢Â€Â“ 98
6. Jeremy Huddleston, Eustace, Texas, KTM Ã¢Â€Â“ 89
7. Tiger Lacey, Spring Creek, Nev., Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 75
8. Noa Quinabo, Riverside, Calif., Suzuki Ã¢Â€Â“ 62
9. Bobby Fitch, Littleton, Colo., Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 44
10. Ricky Yorks, Murrieta, Calif., Yamaha Ã¢Â€Â“ 42
Eastern Regional Arenacross Lites Class Points (After Race 10 of 11)
1. Patrick Massie, Washington Court, Ohio, Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 194
2. Austin Primavera, Larue, Ohio, Suzuki Ã¢Â€Â“ 114
3. Austin Coon, Spencer, W.V., Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 96
4. Adam Gulley, Jonesburg, Mo., Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 95
5. Kenneth Henry, Ashtabula, Ohio, KTM Ã¢Â€Â“ 92
6. Steve Mages, Sardinia, Ohio, Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 86
7. Michael Lang, Saugerties, N.Y., Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 80
8. Scott Zont, Algonquin, Ill., Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 77
9. Tyler Sehr, Belleville, Ill., Honda Ã¢Â€Â“ 65
10. Jake Locks, Dixon, Calif., Kawasaki Ã¢Â€Â“ 64
Live timing and scoring from each round of the AMA Arenacross Series, along with more info are at the offical web-site of AMA Arenacross. Also, look soon for next season’s schedule as well.Ã‚Â Please visit www.arenacross.com for all that and more.